It’s 3:20 in the morning…

I’ve discovered a phenomenon here in the UK of which I was not aware.  The sun’s been coming up a little before five AM each morning, and not setting until after nine at night.  I’ve had over 16 hours of daylight every day since I got here and you know what?  I LOVE IT!  Mind you the temperature hasn’t been much above the 60’s.  I’ve just about worn the windbreaker and cardigan I brought, every day.  I’m just not cut out for this cool, London summer air.

Sorry I haven’t posted in awhile.  I shouldn’t be up writing this but well, I’m just so…okay, so last I left you there was Dom.  We said our good-byes Sunday morning, but then he called me around one that afternoon and invited me to go with him to (are you sitting down) watch the boats on the Thames that were part of the Diamond Jubilee Pageant!

It was an amazing experience just being on the banks of the Thames.  So much of the river bank seems to be taken up by buildings but the area where we were had a paved walking trail, wide swatches of grass and about a million people wearing various versions of the British flag.  We talk about patriotism in the States but there is nothing like the loyalty and support the Brits show for the royal family and the country in which they live.


As for the pageant itself, the boats were awesome.  Dom and I shared views through the binoculars he brought with him.  I actually saw the Queen doing that silly wave while she floated by on the “royal barge”. That was cool, but what was even better was standing there ohhing and ahhing with the crowd while Dom stood behind me, his arms around my waist as he shared his warmth in the chill.

Monday and Tuesday, getting in and around the downtown area was a wash.  Just too many people, so I spent those days walking around the famous Portobello Market not far from the house I’m renting.  I had lunch at one of the pubs the cabbie recommended.  It’s called The Cow.  I enjoyed my “bangers and mash” and tried to choke down a bottle of some kind of beer called Bellevue raspberry.  It was so not what I expected.  Dom promises me he’ll teach me to appreciate beer.  I gag but am willing to trust him.

Tuesday was much of the same.  I found the bookstore on which the movie was based – it’s called (quite unimaginatively) The Notting Hill Book Shop.  Spent well over four hours just wondering loose inside.

Lunch that day was at a place called the Mall Tavern.  It was the perfect spot to enjoy fish & chips whilst reading one of the four books I bought at the book shop.

Wednesday, I went back and wondered the different boutiques and shops.  Don’t remember where I had lunch Wednesday…lol.

I’ve been out with Dom for dinner every night since Sunday.  Last night, after dinner he took me on the London Eye.  Um, WOW.   I was amazed at how big the gondolas are.  You could have a small party inside one.  That’s the House of Commons down there.

Oh, by the way, shortly after this picture was snapped, Dom kissed me.  That’s why I’m still awake.

Anyway, it’s taken me over two hours to write this post.  I keep dozing off.  Guess it’s time to go to bed.  I’ll be dreaming of that kiss for sure.

7 thoughts on “It’s 3:20 in the morning…

  1. Ooh, lucky devil you! Travelling round all the best places in my old hometown! Well, sort of, lol. And the kiss at the end of it all? Dom’s a lucky git.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s